Registration now open!
20-21 May 2020
Event phone: 020 7408 2000
Joint Operating Agreements (JOA)
This 2 day course is being delivered by Paul A. Franck, Upstream Petroleum Advisor
How partnerships are managed in the upstream oil & gas industry
Because the upstream oil & gas industry involves significant risks and large capital commitments, most companies undertake E&P projects with partners.
The rights and obligations of all parties in a project must be agreed and documented in a Joint Operating Agreement (“JOA”).
This course is delivered by a petroleum geologist (not a lawyer) and runs through the main sections of a JOA which is clarified by using examples. It also runs through the recommended AIPN (Association of International Petroleum Negotiators) 2012 model form.
Who should attend
Upstream O&G industry geoscientists, commercial staff and anyone who needs to understand the basic principles and mechanisms of JOA contracts which are essential to E&P oil companies.
- Purposes of sharing E&P projects; convenience of a JOA; relationship between JOAs and other main E&P oil industry contracts
- Structure, definitions and terminology employed
- The Operator: appointment, rights and duties, liabilities, responsibilities, resignation, removal
- The Partner(s): rights and duties
- Voting procedures, pass-mark and their impact
- The Operating Committee and Sub Committees
- Work Programmes & Budgets; contract awards
- Accounting and AFE procedures
- Operations by less than all Parties; the sole risk/non-consent clause
- Allocation of costs & profits
- Transfer of interest, withdrawal
- Default, Confidentiality, Applicable law, Conflict resolution.
Paul A. Franck
Paul Franck started his career in 1982 as a Petroleum Geologist with Premier Oil in London, and became New Ventures Manager with Coparex in Paris in 1989. He then pursued his activity in 2001 with Addax Petroleum in Geneva, where he spent 12 years developing their international portfolio.
While his career involved him in projects located in Western Europe, Canada, Latin America, Russia and Africa, he joined Geopetrol International in early 2013, holding the position of General Manager in Yangon to develop the company’s exploration assets onshore Myanmar until December 2018.
Paul Franck holds an M.Sc in Geology from the University of Geneva, Switzerland, and has over 36 years’ experience in the petroleum industry. He has been retained by the IFP (French Petroleum Institute) to provide training courses on JOAs and PSCs to international public and state owned oil companies. He is currently established as an Upstream Petroleum Adviser in his home town of Geneva, Switzerland.
Registration is open to Members and Non-Members. If you are not a member and would like to discuss membership, please call the PESGB office on 020 7408 2000 and speak to either Laiqah Shah or Sam Neighbour.
Please note: Lunch is not provided. However there are many cafes/restaurants and supermarkets within the area.
Refreshments will be provided throughout the day (tea/coffee/water/biscuits).
Please note, this event may be cancelled in the event of insufficient uptake.
Click the link below to view the PESGB events terms and conditions
PESGB - Training Room