This section sets out how long we retain your information. We have set out specific retention periods where possible. Where that has not been possible, we have set out the criteria we use to determine the retention period.
Order information: when you place an order for goods and services – including membership and events – we retain that information for six years following the end of the financial year in which you placed your order, in accordance with our legal obligation to keep records for tax purposes. To avoid administrative burdens on the PESGB, we will therefore keep membership records and event attendee information for the same amount of time after a member has lapsed or an attendee no longer engages with the society.
Correspondence and enquiries: when you make an enquiry or correspond with us for any reason, whether by email or by phone, we will retain your information for as long as it takes to respond to and resolve your enquiry, and for a further six months after which point we will delete your information.
Mailing Lists: if you consent to receive information from the PESGB on certain events, we retain the information you used to sign up for that mailing list so long as you remain subscribed (i.e. you do not unsubscribe) or if we decide to cancel that mailing list service, whichever comes earlier.
Membership data: So long as you remain a member of the PESGB, we will keep your full membership details on record.
Members who have Lapsed: Once a member lapses, we retain your data for six years unless otherwise requested. We have three reasons for this. Firstly membership is a financial transaction and we are required by law to retain details of these transactions for 6 years. Secondly it saves the PESGB having to part delete a membership record when a member lapses. Finally it provides members who are lapsing because they are moving overseas an opportunity to return and renew their membership rather than “start again”.
Event attendees: We retain your details for the duration of the event you attend and for six years afterwards. This is because events tickets include a financial transaction for which we are required to keep details of.
Criteria for determining retention periods
In any other circumstances, we will retain your information for no longer than necessary, taking into account the following:
- the purpose(s) and use of your information both now and in the future (such as whether it is necessary to continue to store that information in order to continue to perform our obligations under a contract with you or to contact you in the future);
- whether we have any legal obligation to continue to process your information (such as any record-keeping obligations imposed by relevant law or regulation);
- whether we have any legal basis to continue to process your information (such as your consent);
- how valuable your information is (both now and in the future);
- any relevant agreed industry practices on how long information should be retained;
- the levels of risk, cost and liability involved with us continuing to hold the information;
- how hard it is to ensure that the information can be kept up to date and accurate; and
- any relevant surrounding circumstances (such as the nature and status of our relationship with you).